Monday, August 14, 2017 – Charlottesville
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive hate: only love can do that.” Martin Luther King, Jr.
As the Nazi and white supremacy groups prepare to bring their hateful rhetoric and bigoted spewing propaganda to the campus of Texas A&M and to Earl Rudder Plaza, please know the following five facts:
- General James Earl Rudder commanded Pointe du Hoc in the Invasion of Normandy to rid Europe of the hatred and bigotry they endorse. They shame his heroism and his memory.
- The organizers ARE NOT graduates of Texas A&M University. TAMU is a public institution and by law cannot deny a public group a meeting place regardless of the message.
- Texas A&M does not endorse or tolerate any of the thoughts, actions or values portrayed by such hate groups.
- The Texas Aggies have sent more soldiers to wars to fight the Nazis and those like them than you will ever see. The Twelfth Man is not only for athletics.
- The Maroon Wall is forming to counter the protests. On September 11, in the shadows of Earl Rudder Tower and on Earl Rudder Plaza, I WILL be part of the Maroon Wall. You are not taking me, my alma mater, my state, my country to a world of oppression and hatred.
Pray for those in Charlottsville. Pray for peace in the USA.