Thursday, February 19, 2015 – Chinese New Year
Welcome to ESL Class,
Note to class, I am certified in ESL because I was able to answer a series of questions on a test correctly.
Today is Chinese New Year. It is the year of the Goat. So today we will learn to say various greetings to celebrate the New Year.
By tomorrow’s assessment, you should be able to write, say, and translate each of the following. Spelling counts. Good luck.
- 金玉滿堂 Jīnyùmǎntáng – “May your wealth [gold and jade] come to fill a hall”
- 大展鴻圖 Dàzhǎnhóngtú – “May you realize your ambitions”
- 迎春接福 Yíngchúnjiēfú – “Greet the New Year and encounter happiness”
- 萬事如意 Wànshìrúyì – “May all your wishes be fulfilled”
- 吉慶有餘 Jíqìngyǒuyú – “May your happiness be without limit”
- 竹報平安 Zhúbàopíng’ān – “May you hear [in a letter] that all is well”
- 一本萬利 Yīběnwànlì – “May a small investment bring ten-thousandfold profits”
- 福壽雙全 Fúshòushuāngquán – “May your happiness and longevity be complete”
- 招財進寶 Zhāocáijìnbǎo – “When wealth is acquired, precious objects follow”
Well, the least you can do is go eat Chinese food.