Thursday, August 30, 2018 – Here We Go, Jimbo! Getting Prepared
Okay, Jimbo, as a Former Student, Class of 1985, and nearing age 70, I want to see some of that 75 million in action tonight. WHOOP!
I have been waiting for this since 1967. That is when I first wanted to go to Texas A&M University. As usual, I was slightly ahead of my time. My dear, departed Honeyboy told me that I could attend “any college in the state of Texas except that long, haired, hippie, Communist school in Austin.” I am pretty sure he was not referring to St. Edwards.
But through a long and winding path from the Piney Woods of East Texas at Stephen F. Austin, and the Davy Crockett Forests of Sam Houston State, I finally made it to Texas A&M University. Once you drink the Kool-Aid, your blood turns maroon.
Tonight opens the Jimbo Fisher era and as always there is hope and promise of championships on the minds of every Aggie. The Aggies are prepared and you should be prepared for watching the game on the SEC Network at 7:30. Here are my handy, dandy suggestions for watching Texas Aggie football. One must have the following readily at hand:
- The four basic food groups – Sweet, salty, alcohol and chocolate – are within twelve steps of access.
- All screens, including phone, are charged or plugged into recliner. I only have six this year; I sold the TV on the patio.
- Ensure all apps are up to date: Twitter, ESPN, ESPN Watch and all the Aggie apps.
- Musical little football that plays War Hymn is near.
- Dammit Doll is close for slamming into recliner or throwing toward the television. Try not to scare the cat.
- Windows and doors to patio are closed so neighbors do not hear you sound like the sailors on shore leave in a bar with dancing poles. Now you know why I do not have a TV on the patio.
- Should not be a factor tonight, but I always ensure I have a paper bag near in case of hyperventilation and YouTube video for self CPR in the event I stop breathing. This is only necessary in close games.
Here is a note of local flavor when watching the game tonight. One of the quarterbacks for Northwestern is from Navasota, Texas. That is just down Highway 6 a piece from College Station. Shelton Eppler was all-state QB and took his high school team of Rattlers to state and won the championship. Watch for him. He is number five and will be on the ground under an Aggie linebacker. Seriously, I hope he plays well and makes Navasota proud.